Thursday 3 June 2010

Derrick Bird

Derrick Bird's multple shootings in Cumbria put my mind back more than twenty years to the day I was interviewed about the shootings in Hungerford. In my mind that event was as new as yesterday's killings. Back then I was writing for Survival Weaponry and Techniques a magazine for the 'would be' survivalist. Hugo Davenport of the Daily Telegraph interviewed me and put it to me that I was teaching military and mercenary techniques and that anyone who wanted to 'make a name' for themselves could use the skills I was writing about to devastating effect! I've thought about that very point hundreds of times since and although I can see the logic my considered opinion now is that it isn't the teacher, the techniques or the weapons it is the person the man, or woman who has to 'vent their anger' show the world that they exist, or simply want to 'have their pound of flesh'.

One of the arguments following these types of incidents is that guns should be banned. Legislation led by similar incidents have seen a tightening of the rules around personal weapons. Hand guns are no longer legally held in private hands. According to the reports Bird has used a shotgun and .22 rifle. Both apparently licensed to him as they are to thgousands of law abiding well balanced citizens across the UK. If Bird didn't have those weapons would he have let what ever motivated him to come to nothing? I doubt it. He would have found another way to make his point. He could have used a home made weapon, a knife, poison, his car. No, my considered position is that allowing individuals to keep guns does not leas to mass killings.

No comments:

Post a Comment